Hydrogen Park South Australia (HyP SA)
Tonsley, South Australia
Hydrogen Park SA (HyP SA) is an innovative energy project to produce renewable hydrogen, for blending with natural gas via the local gas distribution network.
Valmec was contracted by Australian Gas Infrastructure Group (AGIG) to complete the engineering, procurement, and construction of the HyP SA project, located at the Tonsley Innovation District in Adelaide.
The facility includes a 1.25 MW Siemens electrolyser for hydrogen generation, hydrogen buffer storage, controls, and gas blending equipment. This will enable the injection of hydrogen into the low-pressure gas network, supplying gas to nearby properties with up to 5% blended hydrogen as part of a five-year demonstration. The facility also includes provisions to supply hydrogen to third parties via hydrogen tube trailers.
Australian Gas Infrastructure Group (AGIG)
- The site, which is located in an urban infill area within Adelaide, required due consideration during design to potential impacts on neighbouring land use.
- COVID impacts to supply chain, and interstate travel restrictions.
- Valmec leveraged its experience in specialised gas processing facilities and electrical hazardous area installations, to deliver a high-quality and compliant installation.
- Ongoing project concept reviews with Client to improve constructability and fit-for-purpose design.
- Understanding of regulations, permits, and approvals to achieve construction and service connections with local councils and governing bodies.
- Winner of the Australian Engineering Excellence Awards 2020.